In an “International Road Accident” you are involved

There may be additional complications or difficulties if you are involved in a holiday-related road accident. This page will explain what to do if you are involved in a road collision while traveling abroad.

The scene of the accident

You should ensure that the police are called if you are involved in an international road accident. Also, get a copy the police report. Ask for an interpreter if you are unable to understand the information being given. As much as possible:

Must Read:

Take notes of what happened

Photographs of the accident, including photos of the number plates and positions of other vehicles involved in the accident attorney.

exchange insurance details

As many witnesses as possible, take their names and addresses

Do not admit to liability.

You may have received a European Accident Statement from your insurance company, or one may be given at the scene. The European accident laws Statement is a standard European form that can be found in many languages across Europe. The EAS is used to reach an agreement on the facts of the accident. It can also be used for insurance claims. You should only sign the EAS if you are certain you fully understand the situation. You should be given a copy the accident statement.

What’s next?

Your insurer should be contacted as soon as possible. The next steps will depend on whether you hired the vehicle and what type of insurance you have.

You drove your vehicle

Even if you do not want to file a claim, it is important that you inform your insurance company about the accident as soon and as quickly as possible. There is a time limit on reporting accidents to insurance policies. If you don’t meet that deadline, you might not be covered. Your insurance company should have as much detail as possible about the accident to help them process your claim.

Never Miss:

Before you travel, make sure your international car insurance is current. It is best to contact your insurance company at least one month before you take your car abroad. You may not have the same level insurance at home if you don’t check your policy. While third-party coverage is offered by many insurers, it does not include comprehensive coverage. If your car is damaged, this could leave you short of cash. A Green Card is required if you plan to drive outside of the European Union. This proves that you have the minimum legal requirement for third-party liability insurance. A Green Card can be obtained from your insurer for a small fee.

You may need to complete other tasks before you can drive in Europe starting 1 January 2021. Before you go.

You were driving a rental car

It is important that you report any minor accidents when driving a rental car. Some car rental companies may insist that accidents be reported. This can make it very difficult to return to the UK. You should not admit to liability, as this could affect your car rental insurance claim. Get in touch with your car rental company as soon as you can. You should be able find the number of your car rental company in the UK in your contract. You should give as much detail as possible to the company about the auto accident injuries. When you return home, send a detailed report to the company. You should never have your hire car repaired without first getting approval from the company.

To determine what fees you might be responsible for, you will need to review the terms of the insurance that you purchased when you hired the vehicle.

Uninsured drivers are at the risk of being in an accident

  • If the accident occurred
  • A country of the European Union
  • Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

If the accident was caused by an uninsured motorist, you might be eligible to receive compensation from the country where it occurred. You can file a claim through the equivalent of the Motor Insurance Bureau in your country. This information can be obtained from your insurance company, or the British Embassy in the country where you are staying.

Also Read:

Personal injury lawsuits

You may be able to file a personal injury case if you have been in an international accident. This can be costly and complicated. Legal advice is recommended if you’re considering filing a claim for an accident that occurred on vacation.